Maryland Courts can order the sale of a jointly held residence or, in certain circumstances, the transfer of title from one party to the other.

The court can also make a marital award to adjust the equities in the distribution of marital property. In doing so the court must consider several factors.

But nowhere does Maryland law say that the party leaving the home loses any rights to it.

Still we recommend a move-out agreement if at all possible so there will be no question about it later.