If the parties cannot agree on a division of property, the courts in Maryland can only order a jointly owned house to be sold and the proceeds divided equally. The court can grant up to three years use and possession by the children and custodial parent, but after that the house must be sold. By contrast, the DC courts can transfer real property from one spouse to another. A bill introduced into the Maryland Legislature, HB 452, would allow the Maryland courts to transfer title to jointly owned real property.