Tax Planning for Divorce (Part 4-Child and Child Care Tax Credits)

Even if your ex gets the dependency exemption for the child, you can continue to claim the child-care credit for work-related expenses you incur to care for a child under age 13, if you have custody.

But only the parent who claims a child as a dependent may claim the $1,000 child tax credit.