Don’t Make a Project Out of a Phone Call
“You got done in an afternoon what the others couldn’t get done in the previous 30 days.” – A Happy Client
Here is what I did:
1. picked up the phone and called the other lawyer.
2. listened carefully to the other side’s position and what they wanted.
3. broke the problem down into two separate issues.
4. problem solved one issue at a time.
5. picked up the phone and told my client what the other side wanted, item by item.
6. pointed out to both sides that their interests were the same.
7. gave them win/win options.
8. didn’t just argue my client’s position.
Phone calls are better than letters and emails to get things done because you have the opportunity to ask questions, clarify misunderstanding, explore options and give feedback.