Rule 3. Commencement of action.
The following Domestic Relations actions under D.C. Code 11-1101 are commenced by filing a complaint or counterclaim with the Court
- Actions for divorce from the bond of marriage and legal separation from bed and board, including proceedings incidental thereto for alimony, pendente lite and permanent, and for support and custody of minor children;
- Applications for revocation of divorce from bed and board;
- Actions seeking custody of minor children, including petitions for writs of habeas corpus;
- Actions to declare marriages void;
- Actions to declare marriages valid;
- Actions for annulments of marriage;
- Determinations and adjudications of property rights, both real and personal, in any action referred to in this Rule;
- Proceedings for reciprocal support under D.C. Code 30-301 through 30-324 [46-701 through 46-724, 2001 Ed.].
Proceedings to determine paternity of any child born out of wedlock are commenced by filing a petition with the Court.
A Domestic Relations action pursuant to D.C. Code 11-1101(3) to enforce support of any person may be initiated by either complaint or petition. Proceedings to modify support or custody pursuant to D.C. Code 16-911 may be brought by motion in the underlying case, if any, or by complaint.