Changing Custody After Divorce

The email from the father read, “You handled my divorce 10 years ago.  My wife has custody of my 15 year old son who now wants to come live with me.  Can custody be changed after the divorce?”

“Yes,”  I replied.  “The easiest way to do it is to prepare an Amendment to the Separation Agreement and a Consent Order for the Court which incorporates the Amendment.”

“What is she doesn’t agree?”

“Then we can ask the Court to decide by filing a Motion to Modify Custody.  We will also ask the Court to recalculate child support based on the new custody arrangement.”