- Americans paid $9.4 billion in alimony to former spouses in 2007. (IRS)
- That’s up from $5.6 billion a decade earlier. (IRS)
- 97% of alimony-payers were men last year. (U.S. Census)
- The percentage of women supporting ex-husbands is increasing. (U.S. Census)
- Women made up 46.7% of the work force last year. (DOL)
- That’s up from 41.2% in 1978. (DOL)
- Women, 45 to 54 years old, earn 75% as much as men the same age.
– from “The New Art of Alimony” by Jennifer Levitz for the Wall Street Journal